Modelon’s Thermal Power Library provides a comprehensive modeling, simulation, and optimization framework for thermal power plant operation, including district heating networks.
Ideal for analyzing plant performance and limitations during transient scenarios, Modelon’s Thermal Power Library covers both new and traditional energy sources such as: concentrated solar power, gas, coal, and nuclear powers. The Thermal Power Library can also be used to verify safety requirements and control systems, needed to cope with rapid load changes brought on by increasing use of renewable energy resources.
Modelon’s flexible modular template structure enables efficient and effective modeling at the appropriate fidelity level. With fast and numerically robust models available, users can efficiently simulate and optimize large scale systems. The Thermal Power Library is well suited for large to small enterprises seeking to perform multiple dynamic design behavior studies in the early stages of concept design.
Coupling the Thermal Power Library with Modelon’s OPTIMICA Compiler Toolkit (a Modelica and FMI-based computational platform for systems design), users can utilize a python interface to solve challenging dynamic optimization problems, with use cases such as plant start-up scenarios or district heating production planning.
Model of a complete solar power system including energy storage, steam cycle and control systems. The plot shows the overall plant efficiency in steady-state.
- Accessible component models that provide versatile design and analysis
- Specifically used to model new and traditional energy sources
- Ingrained flexible structures for modelling new plant concepts, unique layouts, and evaluation of novel research concepts
- Ability to model start-up sequences, plant-wide control design, and emergency scenario simulation-controller tuning
- Numerically efficient and robust fluid models for fast simulation and dynamic optimization of large-scale systems
- Predefined templates used for rapid model development
- Dynamic and steady-state simulation in a single model – increasing efficiency and saving time
The Thermal Power Library enables performance analysis and optimization of all types of thermal power plants.
Specific applications include:
- Control system development and verification — Developing control strategies to cope with rapid load changes brought on by the increased use of renewable energy sources.
- Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CCS) technology — Predicting the outcome of different design or operational options on your CCS plant economy and safety.
- District heating – Optimization based scheduling of production units in the network, ensuring customer heat demands are fulfilled while maximizing plant profits.
- Small modular nuclear reactors (SMRs) — Meeting the demands of technically sophisticated assemblies, rigorous safety requirements, and large-scale design collaboration.
- Solar thermal power plants — Analyzing different thermal storage configurations and control strategies during transient conditions.
- Thermal power plants optimization — Integrating higher shares of renewable energy in the power market and maintaining the balance between demand and production
ResourcesJan 27, 2020 | Malta Inc., Leverages Modelon Technology to Diversify Power Grids With Stored Clean Energy Apr 20, 2020 | 2020.1 Release Notes – Thermal Power Library 1.20 Jun 6, 2017 | Improving Control Strategies for Thermal Power Plants Oct 15, 2019 | 2019.2 Release Notes – Thermal Power Library 1.19 May 1, 2019 | 2019.1 Release Notes – Thermal Power Library 1.18 View All Resources
Related News & Blog
Hydrogen Power: Integrating clean fuel to support a clean futureJuly 22, 2020
Replacing fossil fuels with hydrogen can be a significant step in reducing CO2 emissions and mitigating climate change. This blog demonstrates how teams, using Modelon Impact, can easily create a full plant model to address technical challenges and evaluate efficient operation.Read More
Optimizing Cogeneration Power Plants to Manage Renewable Energy Efficiently and EconomicallyFebruary 11, 2020
This blog post covers how an energy service provider transitioned its cogeneration power plant to utilize renewable energy.Read More
Modelon plays critical role in design of Malta Inc.’s clean energy storage systemJanuary 28, 2020
With help from Modelon, Malta is using advanced simulation technologies to design, validate and bring to market what could be the world’s most robust energy storage system.Read More