The Functional Mock-up Interface (FMI) is an open standard for model exchange and co-simulation of dynamic models on the system and component level. FMI addresses a critical pain point in model-based systems engineering: the ability to share models between tools, and to deploy models in an easy-to-use way to development engineers. FMI is supported by more than 60 commercial simulation tools.
The FMI Add-In for Excel® provides powerful support for FMI in Microsoft Excel. FMI Add-In enables efficient and customizable analysis model-based workflows in a spread-sheet environment, with all data management and visualization capabilities of Microsoft Excel and Visual Basic at hand.
FMI defines the Functional Mock-up Unit (FMU) executable model format. FMUs may contain functional models like control algorithms as well as physical plant models. FMI thereby acts as a bridge to use Microsoft Excel® as an analysis and automation environment in model-based development workflows, such as performance optimization, sizing, robust design, and control system tuning. The FMI Add-In for Excel® in combination with Modelica model libraries accelerates the model-based development process by focusing engineering efforts on core product development activities rather than modeling tasks.
- Allows users to exploit state-of-the-art physical modeling tools within an easy-to-access Microsoft Excel® environment
- Enables parameter sweeps and sensitivity analysis that can provide insights into the impact of component variation on system behavior early in the design cycle
- Provides simulation results within standard Excel spreadsheets, enabling organizations to quickly and easily exchange information among all shareholders in the enterprise
- Maintains flexibility and consistency through the FMI standard.
- Import and simulation of Functional Mock-up Units (FMUs) in Microsoft Excel®
- Parameter sweeps and sensitivity analysis
- Parallel computations on multi-core platforms
- Batch simulation and design space exploration
- Supports FMI for Model Exchange 1.0 (initialization of models)
- Supports FMI for Co-Simulation 1.0 (initialization and dynamic simulation)
The FMI Add-in for Excel enables steady-state and dynamic simulation of physical models integrated in a spreadsheet environment. Batch simulations and parameter sweeps are accessible through easy-to-use functions that enable users to quickly get up to speed with sophisticated model analyses.
Automated Deployment of Modelica Models in Excel via Functional Mockup Interface and Integration with modeFRONTIER
(Presentation from Modelica Conference 201)
- Chandrasekar, S., Gohl, J., Development of Custom Workflows for Simulation and Analysis of Functional Mock-up Units, Proceedings of the 10th International Modelica Conference, March 10-12, 2014, Lund, Sweden, pp. 1265-1270
- Batteh, J., Gohl, J. et al., Automated Deployment of Modelica Models in Excel via Functional Mockup Interface and Integration with modeFRONTIER , Proceedings of the 10th International Modelica Conference, September 21-23, 2015, Paris, France, pp. 171-180.
- Pannu, P., Andersson, C. et al., Coupling Model Exchange FMUs for Aggregated Simulation by Open Source Tools, Proceedings Modelica Conference 2015, September 21-23, 2015, Paris, France, pp.903-909.